Dr. Kallyani Ponniah
Dr. Ponniah is currently a consultant in breast and general surgery at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, and one of our highly qualified surgeons at SouthWest Surgery WA. She is known for practising surgical excellence with safety and compassion.
After receiving her Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1995 from Barkatullah University, India, she completed her Advanced Surgical Training in Malaysia, following this with a Master of Surgery degree in 2004, where she practiced as a general surgeon with breast interest in district and tertiary hospitals. Dr. Ponniah then completed a three-year sub specialisation in the field of breast and endocrine surgery at Putrajaya Hospital – the endocrine referral centre for the country.
Moving to Perth with her young family in 2011 to pursue a further two years of oncoplastic training and the required examinations, resulted in an award to the Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Dr. Ponniah offers her patients personalised care; building connections on mutual trust and confidence, creating strong doctor-patient relationships. Her friendly, approachable manner, backed by extensive experience, high-level surgical skills, and sound clinical judgement, allows her to achieve the best possible results for her patients.
Her practice is supported by a multidisciplinary team with access to all diagnostic and treatment modalities essential to rapid, integrated and patient centred care, which includes:
- Comprehensive breast imaging with digital mammography and ultrasound scan (USS).
- Stereotactic and USS guided wire insertion.
- Nuclear medicine for sentinel node localisation.
- Medical and radiation oncology.
- Breast cancer research.
Interests and Impact.
Dr. Ponniah held honorary lecturer positions at the International Medical University and training hospitals in Malaysia and is presently an adjunct senior lecturer at the University of Notre Dame, Fremantle. Throughout her career, she has dedicated much of her personal time to ensure that medical care is available to vulnerable and minor communities in rural Malaysia, facilitating breast awareness campaigns with specialised imaging facilities, otherwise unavailable.
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of malignant conditions of the breast.
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of all benign breast conditions (benign lumps, mastalgia, nipple discharge).
- Surveillance and risk-reducing breast surgery for high-risk groups.
- Prosthesis based breast reconstruction after a mastectomy.
- Cosmetic breast procedures, including contralateral symmetrising surgery.
- Reduction mammoplasty.
- Nipple reconstruction.
- Fat graft/lipo-filling of breast excision defects.
- Breast augmentation.